Monday, May 12, 2008

attracting butterflies



Last summer, we left some watermelon rinds in the compost
bucket by the back door, and in the morning--voila!

A BAZILLION BUTTERFLIES! (and a few flies.)

But there were SO many butterflies, it was easy to overlook
the flies, and we took to leaving our rinds on the deck
table, to make for a better view. These are the close-ups
I tried to take , which turned out okay. We fairly recently
had a flock, or herd, or whatever it is, of monarchs resting
in our trees during their migration--that was amazing.
Have NEVER seen that many butterflies in one place before.

Anyway, over In My Kitchen Garden, there is a
giveaway for a wonderful butterfly book. Which I didn't have to
mention here, but thought you might like to know . . . ;)

5 comments:

Farmgirl Susan said...

How wonderful! : )

Anonymous said...

So neat and pretty! I'll have to try it this summer when we have watermelon-which is my favorite!!

Contessa Kris said...

There was a watermelon shell tossed away in a field in a dream I had last night. It's probably because I read your blog this week. I didn't know butterflies like that. I can't wait to experiment and find out! See you tonight.

Kim Naumann said...

How very beautiful! Butterflies are so lovely but in large numbers they're magical!

Abigail said...

That is so cool. We planted wild flowers for them this year.